**Please Note** These bags are made in batches and sold through a monthly pre-order timetable that’s open to 20 units. Orders open at the beginning of the month and close at the end of the month or when all 20 units have been sold. The bags are fabricated the following month and shipped by the end of the month. Keep in mind BXB is a small operation, please allow the entire two months to fulfill your order.
The Goldback Small is a tough and versatile camping saddlebag inspired by the British saddlebag designs of yore. It attaches securely to saddle-loops or handlebars, can be run rackless or supported by platforms when the clearance is tight.
At 12.5 liters, the Goldback Small is the most compact size in the Goldback lineup. It’s great for long day rides or supplementing camping bags that you already have. Even though it’s relatively compact, you’ll be surprised how many jackets, layers and snacks you can stuff inside.
If you’re running it rackless, you’ll need at least 9” from the handlebar/saddle loops down to the tire. If you have a rack platform, it’ll need to be 5.5”~7” below the strap point. For additional dimensions & sizing information please see sizing info-graphic above or download it here.
Goldback Small Features:
- Expandable long-flap lid adds 5 liter dry-bag capacity.
- Plenty of strap points on the back of the bag to attach to stem/head-tube on the front or seatpost on the back.
- Lash to rack platforms with two strips of webbing on underside of bag.
- Overall dimensions are 15.5~17.5”W (side pockets flat/full) x 8”H x 6”D. Main compartment dimensions are 11.5"W x 8"H x 6"D
- 2 side pockets, 1L each (fits two 12oz cans)
- Internal dowel at main strap points is a traditional way to construct these bags, it gives the bag great stability and shape.
- Additional lower external dowel sleeve that helps prevent the bag from folding over the head tube, reducing sway and increasing rigidity and tire clearance.
- Hypalon panel on underside and back at all attachment points. Very good against abrasion.
- Interior liner is 400 denier waterproof-coated packcloth, or for $10 more you can have X-pac.
- Approx Weight of bag, rigid liner & two dowels,
- Waxed Canavs 2lbs 1~4oz.
- X-Pac/Cordura 1ibs 9~11oz
- Fabric, straps, buckles made in U.S.A.
- Sewn in Atlanta, GA
Goldback Small Need to Knows:
- Strapping the bag tightly to the handlebars/stem faceplate can cause abrasion - different faceplates and bolts can rub in different ways - so consider the foam spacers to create some separation.
- If you plan on running a front rack for support, some recommended options are Nitto Mark's, Simworks Obento or the Potluck.
- If using 15" Voile straps on saddle attachment, you'll need to wrap the strap an additional time around the dowel so the holes align with the buckle. See install video on the ‘video’ page.
- The bag does not claim to be fully waterproof. However, I do my best to weather-proof the bag through material choice and construction. If you need items to be fully-waterproof, use lightweight & affordable dry bags.
- When attached to handlebars like drop bars or flat/riser MTB bars, cable and hose lengths may need to be adjusted.
- Fabric may be scruffed/wrinkled, and/or have pencil marks due to the assembly process. There's nothing wrong with the fabric, apply heat to restore color on waxed canvas and the pencil marks are water soluble so they will fade away in time
- HDPE rigid liner
- Two Birch Dowels
- Two BXB Voile Straps - 15” long, aluminum buckle
- ¾” nylon strap with cam buckle.
Ordering & Shipping
These bags are made in batches and sold through a monthly pre-order timetable that’s open to 20 units. Orders open at the beginning of the month and close at the end of the month or when all 20 units have been sold. The bags are fabricated the following month and shipped by the end of the month. Keep in mind BXB is a small operation, please allow the entire month to fulfill your order.
During the COVID-19 pandemic I've been using UPS for international shipping due to quicker and more reliable deliveries over USPS, however it is a little more expenisve.