**Please note these bags are made-to-order and the current lead time is roughly 8 weeks to complete**
The Better Half is BXB's take on a partial frame bag that uses flip-top openings for easy one-handed access while riding. A wedge style bag preserves a top tube hand position making hike-a-bikes or tossing your rig over a hurdle less complicated. The flap openings close with elastic shock cord latched via metal gaiter hook, though there is a plastic magentic Fidlock option while supplies last. Honestly, I find the metal hooks to work better and they're easily repaired by being bent back into place.
Sizing (also see sizing info-graphic):
- This bigger Better Half is now coming in two sizes; Short and Long.
- The Short is better for day rides and hopefully preserving both the seattube and downtube water bottle position. You may need bottle cages with adjustment or adapters that offer some adjustability in bottle placement.
- The Long is better for camping or big ride capacity as it takes up most of the front triangle yet should keep the seattube water bottle mount..
- The Better Half Large (short and long) is meant for bikes in 58cm-63cm range, with 180-230-ish millimeter head tubes. 2.5-4.5" of head tube between the top tube and down tube.
What bike is this bag for?
- It's designed to fit road and gravel bikes with 0-10 degrees of top tube slope. If you're not sure what your top tube slope is, go to our friends at BIKE INSIGHTS* and search for your bike, your top tube slope will be in the geometry info. NOTE: If the top tube slope is underlined in orange on Bike Insights, that means it's estimated using the best info available to them rather than it being an explicit spec from the brand’s geometry chart. Most bike brands don’t specify slope explicitly, but Bike Insights made the decision to estimate slope using general reference points of a bike’s geometry - see more info below. This bag is not meant for mountain bikes or other bikes with +10 deg of top tube slope.
Flap openings are closed via shock cord (elastic) that secures to metal gaiter hooks. For an upcharge there are Fidlock magnetic buckles available too (limited qty).
- One large compartment on the drive side & one slim compartment for a phone/wallet on the non drive side.
- Molle webbing attachment points around the perimeter of the bag for easy and flexible strapping to the frame.
- Comes with with 6 double-sided velcro straps that are long enough to wrap around most larger carbon frames OR if you want to lace up your bag, let me know and I can swap out the velcro for shock cord.
- Internal padding around the perimeter where the bag comes in contact with the frame.
- Water bladder hose / charge cable porthole
- Capacity (approx)
- Large Short: 2L
- Large Long: 5.5L
Better Half Need to Knows,
- Downtube water bottles can interfere with the bag on the inside of the frame triangle. See sizing chart for bag dimensions.
- Framebags and their Velcro straps cause abrasion on the frame paint/finish - please consider protective clear tape.
- Not for use with downtube shifters.
- Not for use with a frame-pump under the top tube.
- Not for use with modern mountain bikes.
*Bike Insights is a large database of frame geometries spanning many makes & models - it's a fantastic resource, but most of the time top tube slope is estimated using the best info available to Bike Insights. Here are some notes from Bike Insights regarding top tube slope on their website,
- If the Top Tube Slope is underlined in orange, that means it is estimated using the best info available rather than it being an explicit spec from the brand’s geometry chart.
- The estimated slope is only as good as the data received. The most common issues are brands measuring their seat tubes to unspecified points or not providing reliable dimensions. In these cases, slope estimates are usually reasonably close to real-world specs but will tend to skew a little high (more slope). In rarer cases, designs with unusually tall seat tube extensions can result in our slope estimates coming in lower than real-world specs. This second scenario is more common in the MTB world than it is in road/gravel.
- The good news is that 85% of the road/gravel bikes with known top tube slope values are in the 0-10º range.
Current Xpac Fabric Choices:
- Black X50
- Black Multicam X50
- Coyote Brown X50
- Ranger Green X50
- Khaki X50
- Graphite X50
- Slate VX42
- Marigold X50
- Purple X84
- Marigold X50
- Woodland Camo X50